Sunday, May 20, 2012

End of season

Yesterday was probably the last skitrip of the season. Because of our newborn there has not been a lot of skitrips at all this year. If my mind serves my right, I can count only 4 in total this season.. So, it was with a little trepidation I parked my car at Tjugen, ready for the 1823 altitude meters to the summit of Skåla. This is considered to be Norways longest uphill climb and every year in august, thousands of people gather to climb this summit, some faster than others... More information here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sk%C3%A5la_(Sogn_og_Fjordane)








My two companions on this trip was one of my wife`s sister, and a friend of hers. Both very fit and excellent skiers.


I chose to bring only my Åsnes Combat Cap skies with 75 mm telemark bindings, and while they were great going uphill, I had to pay the price going downhill. Making telemarkturns in deep slush with such skinny skis is incredibly taxing. The two girls were on rando setups, and had the opposite expericence, they were crusing downhill and had a superduper time.




The weather this day was rather mixed, ranging from fog and mist and wind to eventually bright sunshine and no wind at all.





We had an early start and were the first up this day, and therefore could lay the first tracks going back down. Always a treat :) On our way down again, we could say hello to a lot of people. Many had taken the wise decision to go for a skitrip this saturday in May. I guess we met about 40 or 50 people in total.



Unfortunately I have no photos going downhill, as I was busy staying alive..

All in all, a great spring skitrip and I am already looking forward to next winter :)


2 comments:

  1. I only had about four ski trips this year too but don't have the excuse of a newborn! 

    Looks like I put a stop to my ski season too early. Next winter we'll get out and you can show me those tele turns?

    ReplyDelete
  2. sure thing :)

    ReplyDelete